Disputing Errors on a Credit Report

Home / Law Bites / Disputing Errors on a Credit Report

Disputing Errors on a Credit Report

Have you found an error on your credit report?  If so, follow the following steps to dispute it:

1. Request a free copy of each of your credit reports from www.annualcreditreport.com.

2. Gather information to show the error.  For example, if you filed a Chapter 7 bankruptcy and a discharged debt is being reported as being owed on your credit report, send a copy of the discharge paperwork.

3. Draft a dispute letter  to send to the credit reporting bureaus.  The Federal Trade Commission has a sample letter you can use.

4. Make copies of EVERYTHING.  Send the letter (certified, return receipt requested) to the credit bureaus reporting the error on your credit report, with the supporting documentation.  The addresses for each of the credit bureaus are:

P.O. Box 7404256
Atlanta, GA 30374-0256

Dispute Department
P.O. Box 9701
Allen, TX 75013

Consumer Solutions
P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19022-2000

5. Wait at least 30 days.  Within that time, you should be contacted regarding the outcome of your dispute.  If you hear nothing, send a follow up letter.  If the error is corrected, great.  (Pull a copy of your credit report to be sure.) If you do not receive a response, even after follow up, or if the error is not corrected, you may need to escalate your approach and you may have legal remedies.  Contact Collum & Perry for assistance and we will work diligently to ensure the accuracy of your credit report.